Polkton is a small town in Anson County, North Carolina (pop. 3,303 in 2013). Polkton is located along US Hwy 74 seven miles west of Wadesboro and about one hour east of Charlotte, NC.
Polkton began as the farm of Colonel Leonidas Lafayette Polk, the noted agrarian crusader. Founder L.L. Polk (1837-1892) laid out the streets for the town in 1870 and Polkton was incorporated in 1875. See About Polkton and About Our Town Founder for more details on L.L. Polk and the town's history.
To all residents and Occupants of the Town of Polkton:
The Town of Polkton Utilities department will be conducting smoke testing of the sanitary sewer system in the upcoming weeks. This testing will begin April 12, 2021 through April 16, 2021. This study will involve the opening and entering of manholes in the streets and public utility easements. An important task of the testing will be to locate breaks and defects in the sewer system. The smoke will also reveal sources of where storm and other surface water enter the sewer system.
A special non-toxic smoke will be used in these tests. The smoke is manufactured for this purpose, leaves no residuals or stains, and has no effect on human, plant or animal life. The smoke has a distinctive, but not unpleasant, odor. Visibility and odor last only a few minutes, where there is adequate ventilation.
Because the plumbing appliances in your house or building are connected to the sanitary sewer system, some smoke may enter your home or place of business if the:
• Vents connected to your building's sewer pipes are inadequate, defective, or improperly installed.
• Traps under sinks, tubs, basins, showers and other drains are dry, defective, improperly installed, or missing.
• Pipes, connections and seals of the wastewater drain system in and under your buildings are damaged, defective, have plugs missing, or are improperly installed.
All residents are advised that if traces of this smoke or its odor enter your house or building, it is an indication that gases and odors from the sewer also may enter. These sewer gases and odors can be both unpleasant and dangerous, as well as a health risk to the occupants. Should smoke enter your home or business, you may contact Polkton Town Hall at 704-272-7463 option 2. The clerk Jerricka Napier will contact a member of the smoke testing crew and someone be able to help and check with you as to where the smoke has entered your home or place of business. Location, identification, and correction of the source of smoke that enters your building is urgently advised. Your cooperation will be appreciated. The information gained from this testing will be used to improve your sewer services.
Should you have any questions on this matter, please contact Jerricka Napier, at 704-272-7463 option 2.
Town of Polkton Utilities Department
- The Town Hall will continue to be closed to the public until further notice. You can make payments over the phone and through the new walkup transaction window during normal business hours or by using the drop box located under front window.
- Annual Polkton Fun Day has been postponed until further notice.
- Current Water Quality Report (go to Reports / Forms page)
- Current Utility Rates (go to Reports / Forms page)
IMPORTANT NUMBERS AND LINKS:
In case of Emergency, call 911.
Polkton Town Hall 704-272-7463
Town of Polkton Police Department
35 W. Polk Street, Polkton, NC 28135
Town of Polkton Volunteer Fire Department
61 W. Polk Street, Polkton, NC 28135
Anson County Sheriff's Department
119 N. Washington Street, Wadesboro, NC 28170
Crime Stoppers: 704-695-3111
Location: Polkton is located along U.S. Highway 74 in Anson County, North Carolina, about one hour east of Charlotte and 7 miles west of Wadesboro, NC. Turn north at the intersection of 218 and 74, cross the railroad tracks and turn left at the next corner. Town Hall is on the left at 35 W. Polk Street.
Town of Polkton